Skip to main content

Recent happenings

On Monday, October 28, my first niece was born! That morning, my brother sent me a text message at 6 am (4 am for them), stating that they were at the hospital, 8 cm dilated. Twenty minutes later, another message: Marion Jean Dorwart, 6 pounds 12 ounces, 19 inches (the name was inspired by this Indiana Jones character, and the middle name by baby's maternal great-grandmother). She is beautiful, and I can't wait to meet her in person!
{Dad/Grandpa, Dan/Dad, & Baby Marion}
Halloween weekend, I made a trip to Philadelphia with a group from my residency program to attend the Family Medicine Education Consortium, leaving Chris to hand out candy to a number of dragons and football players. I learned about leading group medical visits and heard a great speech about the future of primary care by Dr. Ted Epperly, while representing my residency program to potential future residents. 


After the conference, I took a $3 Megabus ride to Washington, D.C., where I got to see a cousin, 2 uncles, and 3 great friends (one of whom happens to be a one-year-old) and to gather the remaining items we had left in storage at my uncle's apartment. 

I rented a car and drove back to Burlington via a random Ikea in New Jersey, where I purchased a china cabinet that we assembled on my arrival home at 9 pm, in order to be prepared to host a dinner for 6 residency applicants and several of my fellow residents the following night. Chris was lovely enough to have spent the weekend making 3 delicious stews for the group, so we were well prepared after our cabinet was assembled.

On November 7, our nephew turned one:
{baby Greg}
On November 9, Chris turned 30! And on November 10, I turned 29! We spent the weekend in Boston (and Lowell, MA). 
{UMass Lowell hockey game}
And this week, we had our second houseguests since moving to Vermont! I was able to take a couple of days off to show Rachel, Dave, and Emily our new home. We checked out Stowe and the Trapp Family Lodge, toured the Ben & Jerry's Factory (my third visit and second tour), ate some awesome food (Revolution Kitchen, Penny Cluse CafeFarmhouse Grill, and Skinny Pancake), visited a cheese farm, and learned about making syrup. We're so glad they could come, and we're looking forward to hosting many more visitors!
{Scottish Highlander cows at the Trapp Family Lodge}




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Prairie Home Companion

Most Saturday nights, we turn on the radio  (one of our favorite wedding gifts) at 6 pm to listen to Garrison Keillor tell the News from Lake Wobegone  and to hear soothing music (Garr-Bear, as we call him, with  Chic Gamine , Norah Jones , Madeleine Peyroux , and others...) while Chris makes a delicious dinner. So when we found out that GK and friends were going to be at Shelburne Museum  (10 minutes from our house) for his summer Radio Romance Tour , we knew we had to go. After a day in clinic on Wednesday, I picked up Chris and the picnic he had prepared, and we headed to Shelburne to set up our lawn chairs along with all of the other elderly white people (to be fair, there were some kids, some people our age, and probably some nonwhite people). We had an awesome time!  {He started the night by saying, "It's always shocking to see in person someone you've heard on the radio, so we may as well get this out of the way first," as he proceeded to stroll th

February 2015!?

I will blame residency for another lapse in posting! The days (and many of the nights...) have been full, and as I move from one rotation to the next, I am increasingly pleased with my match in family medicine. It is very fulfilling, though at times overwhelming, to be a witness to the full range of the human experience. I get to be the first person to hold a newborn baby, to support a family through the dying process, and to be there for people at every stage in between. There are daily reminders both of how difficult and of how great life can be. Every day is an adventure! A few updates:  After 30 fracture-free years, Chris has broken both his collarbone and his right thumb this year, on separate occasions... In spite of his fragility, he has had a great time working as a junior high teacher. I'm more than halfway done with residency, which is crazy! I was elected as a chief resident for next year. Tessie is still awesome. Vermont has been super cold but with great

From Valentine's Day to International Women's Day

On Valentine’s Day, as I was walking back toward the hospital after buying a Coke from the Red Cross canteen (a little shop adjacent to the hospital “car park” where they sell snacks, soft drinks, and sadza ), a man about my age walked briskly toward me, saying, “Hi doc, I’m sorry to interrupt you but can I ask a personal question?” My mind jumped to: where’s the rash? Instead, he continued, “It’s about my wife. She was admitted to the labour ward for an induction today, but now they’re sending her back to the antepartum ward because she isn’t having contractions.” (The labour ward has a strict no visitors policy, which also means no husbands.Throughout the rest of the hospital, visitors are only allowed for two hour-long periods each day.)  He went on to tell me about the recent course of his wife’s pregnancy, and I was becoming curious about what the “personal question” would be. After a few minutes, he asked simply, “Do you think she’ll be okay? Do you think the baby will be okay